Friday, July 17, 2009

It's a jungle out there!

I went back and forth on whether or not I should post this. I'm sure it's not great for my karma but it's so RANDOM and I thought some of you might like to know what we gals are subjected to in the world of online dating (and no, it's not all bad). This is the profile of someone who contacted me recently. Um, maybe you should just read it.


In My Own Words


Okay first of all. Stop lying to yourself.

You all say you are looking for Mr. Right lol
But yet you always find yourself with Mr. Wrong

Time to wake up

Your on here searching for the exact same thing
that brought you here in the first place. The fact that
you can not find the right guy that will treat you with
respect for more than one night.
So stop lying to yourself and thinking that the next
guy that's flexing his muscles or fixing his hair will be the one.

Sure you can close this profile and keep searching
through endless photos of pretty boys with nothing
more to offer than a boring ride in the sack. Really I
won't mind you will just be proving my point.

But the fact that you are still reading this means you
are actually thinking about what I said and your intrigued
by what I might say next. So i suggest you read on
and maybe you will see someone that will make you fall
in love with him every day and show you the true
meaning of romance and passion.

Now I admit i may not be the best looking guy
and personally I don't try to be who I am not
What you see is what you get.

I am just a guy, with a big heart, a great sense of
humor, a passion for adventure, romance, trustworthy,
loving, honest, caring, loyal, thoughtful, a great cook,
intelligent, funny, secure,
and a big teddy bear when you just need a hug.

So when you are ready for a real man and to
have the greatest adventure of your life, together
just send me a mail.


A tad presumptuous, yes? So - if I'm getting this right - we're all sluts with low self esteem who will throw ourselves at the first pretty boy that comes along, pretty boys will never be interested in anything other than sex and we should stop being so superficial and shallow and give this big teddy bear a chance. Does that sound about right? I should also note that our "teddy bear" is standing beside his red Mercedes in his profile picture, and the model is part of his username. FAIL.

So why post the profile? Because as soon as I was able to get past being shocked I started feeling pretty angry. What misogynistic bullshit. He's either assuming women are used to being treated with disrespect or he's targeting women who are expecting to or afraid of being used by men, which is even worse.

He's not doing his own gender any favours either. So if a man is attractive he's got nothing to offer (other than a shag of course)? I know a lot of great looking guys who are also amazing people. Some of them are reading this! You know who you are ;)

But according to our friend, if a woman wants a man who will be nice to her she's got to settle for someone like him. And if she's not interested that means she's superficial, right? Whatever you say Mercedes boy.

No comments: