Friday, July 17, 2009

Before the Bee there was a Scarecrow

I know this much is true: you haven't lived until you've met the opposite sex version of yourself. At least that's how it started. I met mine at work... so he was "Matthew" and I was "Kimberley". He was one of the funniest people I'd ever met. We're both Scorpios. That's important. And he had a black Cocker Spaniel growing up. And when he heard a little old woman reading out her visa number "45, oh oh, oh oh," he also thought it sounded like she was having an orgasm. We both smoked. We played "what do you suppose brought that on?". The only difference seemed to be our taste in men.

Matthew: "Have you ever had a guy meet you at the airport with flowers?"
Me: "Shut up Matthew".

And so he became The Male Version of Me With Better Taste in Men (sorry exes. flowers at airport. or just flowers. write it down. your significant other will thank me).

Then it was time for me to move on, find a job closer to home (and my puppy) with better pay. And we took our last break together, having a smoke in a bus shelter I think, and he told me he really sucked at good byes. We were part of a really amazing team at work. Truly. But as Dorothy said to the Scarecrow I told Matthew I would miss him most of all. Luckily for me it wasn't really goodbye.

Not long after I left that job Matt left too. He made the courageous decision to school to pursue his dream. Busy lives, wonky schedules, you know how it goes. Our visits were too few and too far between but his place in my heart never diminished. He was there through the drama with the next door neighbour. Yes, THAT drama. He sat with me through Sharkwater and understood that while we watched sharks being "finned" I was being gutted (metaphorically of course). When my Nan was sick and we were told she was dying somehow he knew a night of Corona and watching prostitutes from his balcony would be just what the doctor ordered.

My Scarecrow has become one of my bee people (see Blind Melon video for No Rain). If I need him I know he's there, busy lives wonky schedules and all...without question, without exception, without condition, without judgment. Now that's a bee person.

I love you Matty. Cheers!

1 comment:

CancerNurse said...

I hate crying....but need one every now and then. Thank you.

You are loved!