Saturday, February 19, 2011

Chells Bells

Some of you know I've been considering retiring Chelsea from Pet Therapy. If you've been following our journey you know how long we spent on a wait list to be tested, how much the actual test entailed, and how much we love the work we do at the secure youth treatment and detention center called Syl Apps. 

We had the same three kids in the program for about a year, and over that time they bonded with Chelsea and I became very attached to them.  All three have been discharged now, one was moved to the adult prison in Brampton and the other two went in to group homes/assisted living situations. I am still in contact with one of them.

Physically we had a few setbacks over the holidays. I had a seemingly neverending infection that went on for about six weeks, and Chelsea had minor surgery between Christmas and New Years.  I am much more aware that Chelsea is aging, partly because of the minor surgery and partly because she's clearly slowing down and becoming more neurotic. I feel the need to shield her more than I ever have. Thinking back I never used to have that feeling at all. She was Chelsea - well behaved, ridiculously appropriate with other dogs, and in love with every person she met. I never worried about taking her places because I knew she would behave and I knew there was virtually no possible scenario that would require me to rescue her.  I think that's changing.

She doesn't play with Lulu anymore. When Lu tries to engage her Chelsea just gives her a "piss off" bark and poor Lulu is dumbfounded, like "what did I do?".  Just to be clear Lulu adores Chelsea, she always has. It's not like Lulu's spent the past 3 years tormenting her and Chelsea just decided she's had enough. They'd run, chase, play, wrestle, they were buds. Now Chelsea wants nothing to do with her. That disinterest hasn't extended to people, fortunately, the way she follows my mom around is actually kind of pitiful. And it's interest in people that's crucial the successful pet therapy.

We're starting up again on February 28. I wish I didn't have doubts about it working out but I do. It's always been something Chelsea loved and she bonds with people very well.  Fingers are crossed, but the day she stops enjoying it is the day she retires. That day could be months or years from now, or it could be just around the corner.

No comments: