Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Update

As many of you know my family was told several weeks ago that my Nana did not have long to live.  She had (has?) double pneumonia and the medical team had exhausted all possible avenues of treatment.  Rather than the sharp decline we were expecting, she has actually rebounded.  I can still hear the pneumonia in her voice and her dementia is pretty significant, but she's well enough to be up and dressed and even attend food committee meetings to offer input as a resident about what is satisfactory and what is not (poor committee).

Most of you also know by now about Project Maddie.  While I've been dealing with my own illness it has been really helpful to something positive to focus on.  I've had a lot help and a tremendous amount of support, without which Project Maddie would not be a reality.

I'm doing my best to restore my health by taking care of my body, my mind, and my spirit.  My little zoo has been healthy for some time now (touch wood) and that definitely makes it easier, as does the apparent improvement in my Nana's health.  I know nothing lasts forever but I'm glad that she's able to live life a bit, interact with other residents, watch tv, read the newspaper, that sort of thing.  They all sound like small things but quality of life is all about the small things, isn't it? Especially in a nursing home.

Thank you for your unconditional love and support.  It means a lot to know you're there for me and pulling for me, and I know it isn't always easy. I know you're in it for the long haul, and I thank you for that.

xo.

No comments: