Friday, July 24, 2009

Pet Therapy Update: Youth Detention and Secure Treatment Centre

I took Chelsea to the Youth Detention and Secure Treatment Centre for a meet and greet. We were also given a tour to get a feel for the facility. I didn't really know what to expect. Heather had warned me that it's an extremely stressful assignment and the e-mails I'd received from the guy who coordinates the programs were more friendly and familiar than I was comfortable with. Today I received an e-mail from Heather assuring me that's just how this guy is so I felt better right away. I deal with a lot of different personalities through work and I grew up around cops so I know how to handle myself as long as I know what I'm dealing with.

In person the man I've been exchanging e-mails with is much more what I would have expected and not overly familiar. I got the impression that he really understands how beneficial Pet Therapy can be and he said it would be really important to the kids. We'll be dealing with kids who have mental illnesses and are at this particular facility getting court ordered treatment. Chelsea is so intuitive and she really has a gift of knowing where she's needed. I'm so glad I'll get to share that gift with kids who truly need it so I'm looking forward to getting started. Going in there just felt right and I know this is where we're supposed to be.

No comments: